How many magazines do you have sitting around your house, ready for the recycle bin? You can turn them into Picture books for Children in other countries. It's a humanitarian effort led by the LDS church. We've been working on them this month and they're so easy to do...perfect while you watch tv. (here are some example pages)
- Cut out pictures of animals, flowers, fruits/vegetables, kids, etc. from magazines
- Glue them to paper/cardstock with a glue stick
- Put them in a plastic sheet protector
- Bind 10 pages in a cheap report folder
- Send it to the LDS Humanitarian Dept and they take care of distribution.
There are certain guidelines the church would like you to follow. For instance, we don't want to show flashy American materialism (cars, fashion, bling bling, etc)
If you want to join the fun, it's easy to do. Here's the website, which shows the guidelines:
Click on "Humanitarian Aid Kit Patterns" (on the right column, near the bottom).
Then click on "Children's Picture Book" (it's under Education).
A pdf file will download for you.
I was working on one of these at work yesterday, and someone walked by asking what I was doing. When I explained, they thought it was great and asked if they could help cut out pics. That made me laugh.