11.19.2008

The dark side of the shadow of the Moon

So we've been kinda lunar lately.
Casey's been listening to Pink Floyd's, Dark Side of the Moon album for days. It's almost like he's rediscovered it's greatness. I had never heard it entirely (though I realized I knew many of the songs on there) and I have to agree, it's terrific.
Lucy is constantly looking for the moon when it's dark outside and likes to talk to it. She also seems to find it even when faintly glowing in the daylight. I'm always surprised when she says, "look Mom, the moon!", and it's 3 in the afternoon. Casey asked her one day, "What's the moon doing?" She had nothing to say. So he told her, "it's just hanging out." She found that amusing and now adds that to her moon conversations.
The other day I cut something out of cardstock. She picked up the scraps and said, "a moon!" So I made her more moons and she played with her moon family all afternoon:We finally watched, In the Shadow of the Moon, a Ron Howard documentary about the first men to walk on the moon. Very interesting and something I recommend: Lucy sings a song about rocketships at school. And when we're at the mall, she hangs out in the rocketship toy:
So uh, three cheers for the Moon. We're glad you're there, just hanging out.

12 comments:

Suman Family said...

haha! how funny. ava is kind of obsessed with the moon too. she wants me to draw moons so she can color them and is always looking for it in the sky. i guess it's a pretty fascinating thing! cute post.

Linsey said...

we are totally moon freaks around here - especially when it shows up in the daylight - that is just about the best thing that ever happens to us...unless we happen upon a sloth, that is.

Jules said...

Casey,
Do you remember going to the Pink Floyd laser light shows at the U of A Planetarium? Every time I listen to Comfortably Numb I think of being there. --Julie

Diane said...

That looks like a great movie, I will definitely check it out. I love anything to do with space. I would love to fly to the moon someday!

Grayson Family said...

You are such a great mom. You make the everyday things such fun. Your kids are lucky to have you.

Jean said...

Haha! I've never seen an "ode to the moon" blog post before. This is awesome. Lucy is so cute!!

Natalie Petersen said...

"Rocket ship, Rocket Ship to the moon. Rocket ship, Rocket ship to the moon." - music time song. Love pink floyd, love the movie, love Lucy!

Saunja said...

I'm really glad you didn't include a picture of one of you mooning us.

Saunja said...

And super cute picture of Lucy in the rocket ship!

Nicole said...

Very cute post. I remember when Jacqueline went through the moon phase. She too was obsessed and would enjoy a good conversation or two with the moon. Love the pic of Luc in the spaceship, darling!

Vicki said...

Wow! I thought Connie and Kira were the ones who took all my good albums! Rock On.

teresa and the boys said...

I busted out The Division Bell a few months ago and just kind of tranced out for a bit. I'll have to get DSOTM out now.

I love that you even came up with a theme. Had I posted it, it would have just been rambly with a few pictures thrown in.

p.s. I contradict Saunja -- I would have laughed and laughed and laughed to find such a "moon" picture in this post.