11.06.2008

Why 88 miles per hour?

Some of you have asked the significance of our blog title. Some of you have hinted that it relates to a busy lifestyle we lead; that we're going 88mph all the time. While I do feel like that at times, yes...
That's not the meaning behind this alluring 88.
And since November 5th is an important date in the space time continuum of our blog, it only seems appropriate to explain myself today.

We know I heart the 80s. And what I love even more than just the 80s is: 80s movies. On my Top Ten list, aside from Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, Teen Wolf, and Breakfast Club is: (possibly my favorite movie....ever?)
Back To The Future.

So, why 88 miles per hour?
Watch and you shall see (the clue is at the very end):


Basically, I love this movie and I love that quote. So, it became our blog. 88 miles per hour!
And on November 5th 1955, Doc Brown was standing on his toilet, and he was hanging a clock, and he fell, and he hit his head on the sink. And that's when he came up with the idea for the Flux Capacitor...
Which... is what makes time travel, possible.
So, Happy Anniversary to the Flux Capacitor! And remember, "when this baby hits 88 miles per hour...you're gonna see some serious (bleep)."

17 comments:

Jim said...

1.21 Gigawatts!!!!!
Now we know.. and knowing is half the battle.. --Jim

Saunja said...

Don't worry. As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88mph the instant the lightning strikes the tower... everything will be fine.

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

I love 80's movies. I totally appreciated the creativity of the title and can't believe I didn't recognize the reference earlier.

Linsey said...

All the world's wisdom can be found in movies from the '80s.

lyndsey said...

yesssss. i was eagerly awaiting this post all day. so glad my question was finally answered! and that is the best answer i could ever dream up.

Jean said...

Why 88 miles per hour... C'MON!! How can you not know that reference. Haha! :-) This is seriously one of the best movies ever. Happy birthday Flux Capacitor!! Keep on... fluxing.

One time when Tim and I were on an airplane, Tim was joking to me that we had to reach 88 MPH before the plane could lift off (obviously making a movie reference). The lady next to him, though, said, "Really? 88 MPH?" Hahaha!! Tim had to explain that he was kidding around. I guess it's more like 150 MPH for airplanes. I don't think we would've taken off very well at 88. :-P

Connie said...

Happy Birthday Flux Capacitor! Nov. 5th should be a national holiday.

Kate said...

Nov. 5th IS a national holiday. It's Mormon appreciation day also. So glad we could share it with the good ol flux.


http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/842518567.html

the bates motel said...

funny. i like the story behind it. i did always wonder what you meant by your title. cute! i likes.

dietcokegrrl said...

I always thought it was for how fast you (and I) drive. Haha.

And yes, The Breakfast Club is seriously one of my favorite movies too...right up there with Reality Bites. Am I aging myself? Probably...I did just turn another year older....sigh.

La La Land said...

I thought that was the meaning behind your title! So glad to know I was right. Life began in the 80's, didn't it?

sachia said...

Loved the clip, I watched it and had a sweet flashback in time. Thanks for going there! Cute idea.

teresa and the boys said...

Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.

dana said...

HaHAAH! Yes, Teresa. Exactly.

Saunja said...

I'm sure that in 1985 plutonium is available in every corner drugstore, but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by.

Unknown said...

Roads???? Where we're going we don't need... roads.

Karis said...

Thanks for clarifying. Now that you mentioned it I always did wonder??